Painting is something that many have tried at least once in their life. Whether in an art class or at home, it has proven its popularity among many types of people worldwide.
If you find yourself intrigued by painting for fun, you might wonder how much it costs. Is painting an expensive hobby?
In the beginning, painting can be an expensive hobby. There are many necessary tools a painter will need that does not come cheap. However, as time goes on, this hobby can get less and less expensive.
Keep on reading to learn more about all of the expenses that go into making painting a hobby. We will also dive into a few ways that you might make each of these items a little bit cheaper for yourself.
Anyone can afford this hobby, though some materials might not be as high-quality as more expensive items.
How Can You Tell if a Painting is Expensive?
You might wonder what makes a painting expensive. It makes sense that some paintings cost so much, considering the price of the materials required to make them come to life. However, some art is not worth much money. Is it possible for you to accomplish this?
There are a few things that make a painting expensive. Some of these items include:
- The subject: Often, the subject of the painting makes it expensive. The topic can be flowers, a portrait, or even a landscape.
- The artist’s name: Well-renowned artists are more likely to have expensive pieces. It doesn’t matter if it’s good or not.
- The size: The bigger the painting, the more expensive it will be.
- How many exist: Limited-edition paintings are more expensive than those that have a ton of copies. On the other hand, an original in a sea of replicas is also worth a lot.
These items can contribute to the price of a painting, though they can alter and shift depending on the piece.
Unfortunately, the art world favors well-renowned artists over newbies, even if the latter has produced a better piece. Your best shot at making an expensive painting is to keep working at it until someone notices your work and appreciates it for what it is.
What Materials Do You Need to Paint?
Now that you understand the criteria for a painting, you should know the materials required to create a masterpiece of your own. Some of these are optional but investing in them will allow you to experience the hobby for all it is worth.
Some materials include:
- Paints: To paint, you will need the actual material. There are many varieties of this item. The price per tube often falls around $10.
- An easel: An easel is not necessary but will allow you to get the proper angles. Excellent easels are often about $100.
- Brushes: Brushes are needed for painting unless you paint with your hands. Nice ones will run you about $50 apiece.
- Canvases: While you can paint on paper, canvases are a more durable option. A standard canvas will cost you about $200 if you are investing in a nice one.
All of these are excellent to have if you are taking on painting as a hobby. There are also a few other materials that can come in handy. However, these are the pieces that every beginner should have when they first start.
At first glance, it’s clear that all of these items are pricey. Painting doesn’t come without a massive price tag. You need to be ready for this if you are going to take on this hobby.
If you want to start painting, you should save up money before taking the plunge.
Are There Cheaper Alternatives?
With this hobby, you might wonder if there are cheaper alternatives. You may be surprised and excited to know that many materials cost less, though they are not as high-quality as pieces that you will pay more for at a store.
You can find these alternatives at places like:
- Bulk stores, such as Costco or Sam’s Club
- Discount art stores
- Grocery stores
- Online markets, such as eBay or Amazon
All of these locations likely have painting supplies that you can get for an affordable price. If you do not have the proper finances to invest in the full-priced items, you should look into these.
Remember that these will not last you as long, so it might be more financially viable to take the plunge and get some high-quality painting gear.
Does Painting Get Cheaper Over Time?
The greatest thing about painting is that it gets cheaper over time. You will periodically buy new canvases and paint, as they run out fast. However, a few of the expensive pieces you will not need to replace as often.
You likely will not need to get frequent replacements for items such as:
- Paint containers
These require very few replacements, as they tend to be sturdy and stand the test of time.
If you stick with painting, it will cost you less and less as time goes on. Though it is still expensive, it won’t be quite as overwhelming as it was at first. If the first investment costs too much, you can also purchase cheaper materials in the future.
Painting is a fun hobby, but it can be quite expensive. Many different materials go into the hobby, and each of them does not come at a cheap price point.
You can expect to spend hundreds of dollars if you start to get serious about this hobby. For many, that is not a choice based on the budget that they are working with.
Fortunately, painting tends to get cheaper as time goes on. Replacements are less expensive than the initial product, and you will not need to buy as many costly staples as brushes and easels.
While it can be hard to afford this hobby at first, a few massive investments will make it cost less the more you get involved.